In my experience as an agency owner, and as a creative director on the client side, I added to everything I'd learned working for other agencies ... and it made me better.
As an entrepreneur, I learned:
• how to collect money from strapped clients in the middle of a deep recession ... and still remain friends
• the one thing harder than coming up with great ideas? explaining how you're different
• business is about helping people—because not everyone needs advertising, but everyone needs help in some way
As I got better, I felt I could help the advertising business, and agencies, be better.
• I joined Krispy Kreme as Global Creative Director at a time when few creatives were making the leap from agencies to lead client creative organizations.
• I developed a Creative Brief that was more about the Customer Experience. And Results.
• I brought the same level of writing craft to New Business RFPs as I did to campaign copywriting.
• I developed a Value-based Compensation structure around client benchmarks that allowed agencies to make even more money as results were achieved.